Since we can’t be in New Orleans for Mardi Gras, we’re bringing Mardi Gras to you with this delicious recipe from Baked Bree. I love the recipes on her blog, because they all look AMAZING and she takes beautiful photos taking you through the entire process from start to finish. My Aunt usually makes King Cake every year for Mardi Gras, but these look pretty darn good, a must share!
Mardi Gras is celebrated every year, the day before Ash Wednesday, when Lent begins. The colors associated with Mardi Gras are purple for justice, green for faith and gold for power, this recipe keeps with that tradition and puts a little spin on it! Check it out below!
KING CAKE COOKIES WITH PRALINE PECAN
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Cinnamon Sugar Mixture:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 cups pecan halves
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- yellow, green and purple sprinkles
- Cream butter, sugar, and cinnamon until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, honey, vanilla, and lemon extract. Add flour, baking powder, salt, and cream of tartar. Mix until combined.
- Roll dough into golf ball sized balls. Combine sugar and cinnamon on a small plate. Roll the log into a spiral shape. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 12 to 16 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Get started on the praline. Add both sugars to a saucepan. Add evaporated milk. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Stir in the pecans, butter, and vanilla. Bring to a boil. Take off the heat and let cool for 3 to 5 minutes. Spoon the praline over the cookies. I made sure each cookie had a generous portion of pecans and then went back around and used the rest of the praline.
- Mix equal parts of yellow, green, and purple sprinkles in a small bowl. Sprinkle over cookies.